6.x from i386 to amd64

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Wed Nov 1 11:49:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-Oct-31 14:44:46 -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> - certain ports have i386 binaries (can't be fixed)
> - certain ports have i386 asm code (can be fixed if there is fallback
>   C code)

A partial solution to this is to get the i386 emulation and cross-
building into better shape.  If I really need a binary-only port
then I can build/run it in emulation mode.  This has bee discussed
previously.

IMHO, the FreeBSD/amd64 naming conventions make it much cleaner than
(eg) Solaris and Linux as long as you only want native-mode apps.
Unfortunately, it makes supporting i386 applications much harder
(bacause they need to understand they need to look in .../lib32
ISO .../lib).

--
Peter Jeremy