PostgreSQL uses more memory on 6.1?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Tue May 23 14:17:29 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 16:05, Claus Guttesen wrote:

> He probably meant the following kernel-settings:
>
> options         SHMMAXPGS=393216
> options         SEMMNI=240
> options         SEMMNS=1440
> options         SEMUME=240
> options         SEMMNU=720
>
> Those are for my quad-opteron server with 8 GB RAM. Adjust
> accordingly. Did you compile a custom-build-kernel or GENERIC?

I hadn't compiled any of those into my custom kernel, as per some now
long-forgotten web page that said I should use the sysctls to reach the
same effect.

What I'd *really* like to find is an explanation of how to set those
numbers.  I'm using a single Xeon with 3GB of RAM and have no idea how high
to set those, or whether a particular value is too high.  Then again, once
I figure it out I guess I should have a fair amount of job security.  :-)
--
Kirk Strauser