PostgreSQL uses more memory on 6.1?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Tue May 23 13:58:54 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 15:37, Marshall Pierce wrote:

> You need to adjust the shared memory segments allowed by the kernel; see
> /usr/ports/databases/postgresql<your-version>-server/pkg-message-server
> for what to add to your kernel config. Most likely, you forgot to move
> over your kernel customizations to your new kernel...?

Nope, I took care of that:

/etc/sysctl.conf:

kern.ipc.semmap=256
kern.ipc.shmmax=268435456

/boot/loader.conf

kern.ipc.semmni="256"
kern.ipc.semmns="512"
kern.ipc.semmnu="256"

Furthermore, neither of those files (or even my kernel config file) changed
between the previous reboot and the one that installed 6.1.  At any rate,
the kern.ipc.shmmax is much, much greater than the 64MB that I'd been using
before for shared_buffers (8192 buffers * 8 KB/buffer).
--
Kirk Strauser