4.11 snapshots?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun May 21 11:15:04 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 07:35:53PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> Is there a server currently furnishing snapshots of the FreeBSD 4.11 security
> branch? We have some servers running various 4.x versions that might not be
> happy with 6.x due to memory requirements. They also might have slower file
> access (The file system in FreeBSD 6.x still isn't as snappy as the one
> in 4.x, though I hope this will change). So, we'd like to upgrade them to
> a patch level that includes all recent security fixes. Are ISOs available?

FYI, it is only soft updates (really bufdaemon, through which all the
I/O passes) that has performance problems under high load on 6.x
compared to 4.x.  Other mount modes perform quite a bit better
(e.g. 30% faster for async write performance) than 4.x on the hardware
I tested.

  http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/bsdcan/Filesystem%20Performance.pdf

Kris

P.S. Don't link to the above URL, I need to send it to Dan for
publication on the BSDCan site, to which you should link instead.