6.1 and USB: problems with mounting SonyEricsson K750 flash

Dennis Melentyev dennis.melentyev at gmail.com
Thu May 18 01:51:22 PDT 2006

Hi!

2006/5/17, Bengt Ahlgren <bengta at sics.se>:

> Hi!
>
> "Dennis Melentyev" <dennis.melentyev at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've got a problem with mounting SonyEricsson K750 flash card:
> > 6.1 is not stabily mounting/recognizing device, and, after several tries
> > ended up in creating TWO IDENTICAL device nodes in /dev!!!
> >
> > Has anyone any suggestion on how to resolve such a problem?
> >
> > Here is kind of my actions log:
> > After connecting the cable, got this in console:
> > umass0: Sony Ericsson Sony Ericsson K750, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2
> > da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> > da0: <Sony Eri Memory Stick 0000> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> > da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> > da0: 1902MB (3895296 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 242C)
> >
> > so far everything is ok, except the reported disk size: it's 1Gb, not
> 2Gb.
>
> I get a different error, but which could possibly be related.  I am
> running 6.1R on a Thinkpad X40.  I just thought my connectors have
> accumulated too much dirt, because after retrying two-three times it
> succeeds.  But perhaps dirt is not the issue, because when it succeeds
> in reading the size, mounting and reading works perfectly without
> errors.  Here is what I get about 3 times out of 4 when attaching:

[ log skipped]

> And, correctly when it succeeds:
>
> umass0: Sony Ericsson Sony Ericsson K750, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <Sony Eri Memory Stick 0000> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 61MB (126912 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 61C)
>
> I am not sure when the above problems started.  When my phone was new
> (July 2005) it worked without any problems.  I was most likely running
> 5.4 at that time.

It runs perfectly on WinXP. So, connectors should not be an issue. It might
be a problem with not-fully-standard things by SE, Also, I tried to play
with different FAT types (16/32). FAT16 seemd to be much faster, but also
not yet ideal.

After I upgraded the phone software yesterday and reformated flash using
native phone tools,  it helped:

da0: <Sony Eri Memory Stick 0000> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
umass0: at uhub2 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
### first try was not successful, but w/o any other errors in console

(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
umass0: detached
### Reattached the device

umass0: Sony Ericsson Sony Ericsson K750, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Sony Eri Memory Stick 0000> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 951MB (1947648 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 951C)
### And yes, it's finally up and correctly sized

So, the only FBSD-related issue left is a duplicated entry in /dev listing.
Reboot helped, but that's not the way it should be. Could someone check the
possibilities to have duplicate entries in directory listing (at least under
/dev)?

--
Dennis Melentyev