[HACKERS] semaphore usage "port based"?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 17 10:37:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Max Khon wrote:

>> Yes, there seems to be an awful lot of noise being made about the fact that
>> the system does, in fact, work exactly as documented, and that the
>> configuration being complained about is one that is specifically documented
>> as being unsupported and undesirable.
>>
>> As commented elsewhere in this thread, currently, there is no
>> virtualization support for System V IPC in the FreeBSD Jail implementation.
>> That may change if/when someone implements it.  Until it's implemented, it
>> isn't going to be there, and the system won't behave as though it's there
>> no matter how much jumping up and down is done.
>
> sysvipc has been implemented once, but it has been decided that it adds
> unnecessary bloat. That's sad.

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning behind this statement.  Could you direct
me to the implementation, and at the specific claim that it adds unnecessary
bloat?  As far as I know, no implementation of jail support for system v ipc
has ever been rejected on the basis that it adds bloat -- all discussion about
it has centered on the fact that it is, in fact, a very difficult technical
problem to solve, which requires careful consideration of the approach and
tradeoffs, and that that careful consideration has not yet bene done.

Robert N M Watson