the crred

Bernardo Crosbie crosobernardo at lightpower.com
Sat May 13 14:57:11 PDT 2006

go to the web site <http://geocities.com/MeeabelKyleGui/>

beside them on to sharp rocks below; but each of them took a good coil
of rope wound tight about his waist, and so at last without mishap they
reached the little grassy bay. There they made their third camp, hauling
up what they needed from below with their ropes. Down the same way they
were able occasionally to lower one of the more active dwarves, such as
Kili, to exchange such news as there was, or to take a share in the
guard below, while Bofur was hauled up to the higher camp. Bombur would
not come up either the rope or the path. I am too fat for such
fly-walks, he said. I should turn dizzy and tread on my beard, and
then you would be thirteen again. And the knotted ropes are too slender
for my weight. Luckily for him that was not true, as you will see.
In the meanwhile some of them explored the ledge beyond the opening
and found a path that led higher and higher on to the mountain; but they
did not dare to venture very far that way, nor was there much use in it.
Out up there a silence reigned, broken by no bird or sound except that
of the wind in the crannies of stone. They spoke low and never called or