FreeBSD 6.1 Released

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri May 12 08:13:47 UTC 2006

Mike Jakubik <mikej at rogers.com> writes:

> Jonathan Noack wrote:
>> The *entire* errata page was from 6.0; it was a mistake.  This wasn't
>> some "put on the rose-colored classes and gloss over major issues"
>> thing.  It was a long release cycle and something was forgotten.  C'est
>> la vie.  It's always a good idea to check the most up-to-date version of
>> the errata page on the web anyway, so it's *not* too late to update it.
>>

> How convenient. These problems needed to be addressed in the release
> notes, not some on line version.

You lost connection to the ground, Mike. Come back please :-)

People make mistakes, and that applies to both the code as to the
documentation, and users will know that sometimes problems will be found
only after the release so they'll check online later when running into a
problem.  The 6.1 release announcement already mentioned the errata
lapsus BTW and asked people to check on-line, so it appears someone's
asking for perfection -- but it was decided months ago to stick to a
schedule rather than making perfect releases.

Having said that, 6.1 is a real and visible improvement over 6.0 for me.
6.1 is usable, where 6.0 toppled over every few minutes (I'm talking
about ral(4) and other nasty stuff such as tmpfs/mdmfs panics in 6.0 -
ral(4) is what prompted me to do the 5.4->6.0 upgrade).

--
Matthias Andree