Crash with 6.1

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Wed May 10 05:56:00 PDT 2006

I have installed FreeBSD-6.1 from cdrom yesterday on my machine
a P4 with hyperthreading. It crashed some hours later when
i was accessing the packages cdrom, specifically doing
cd /cdrom/pa<Tab>
This is with the installed kernel, no modification whatsoever.
I don't have the corresponding debugging kernel, so all i have is:
niobe# kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel /var/crash/vmcore.0
[GDB will not be able to debug user-mode threads: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so:
Undefined symbol "ps_pglobal_lookup"]
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd".
(no debugging symbols found)...Attempt to extract a component of a value that
is not a structure pointer.
(kgdb) bt
#0  0xc0650272 in doadump ()
#1  0xc06507c9 in boot ()
#2  0xc0650af1 in panic ()
#3  0xc084a2cc in trap_fatal ()
#4  0xc084a00b in trap_pfault ()
#5  0xc0849c45 in trap ()
#6  0xc0836c4a in calltrap ()
#7  0xc061681e in g_io_request ()
#8  0xc0618de9 in g_vfs_strategy ()
#9  0xc0620dc9 in cd9660_strategy ()
#10 0xc085c229 in VOP_STRATEGY_APV ()
#11 0xc069c5b0 in bufstrategy ()
#12 0xc0696e19 in breadn ()
#13 0xc0696d5c in bread ()
#14 0xc061d6d5 in cd9660_blkatoff ()
#15 0xc06208a2 in cd9660_readdir ()
#16 0xc085bf34 in VOP_READDIR_APV ()
#17 0xc06b26a3 in getdirentries ()
#18 0xc084a613 in syscall ()
#19 0xc0836c9f in Xint0x80_syscall ()
#20 0x00000033 in ?? ()

I don't suspect a hardware problem since this machine has run FreeBSD-5.3
and 5.4 previously without trouble, there is no overheating, etc.
As for the cdrom, after reboot i have installed the whole KDE plus a lot
of other things from it without problem.

Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(kgdb) quit