6.1-RC and the audit group

Scott Sipe cscotts at mindspring.com
Wed May 10 00:43:58 UTC 2006

On May 9, 2006, at 7:03 PM, Pieter de Goeje wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Wednesday 10 May 2006 00:51, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>> Doug White wrote:
>>>
>>> The default action is to do nothing, so its possible you just
>>> missed it
>>> as you were blazing through. :-)
>>
>> Just updated another box to 6.1-STABLE, and yes I did 'return' though
>> it. The reason being mergemaster -p wanted to patch my group file to
>> remove all the additions (i.e, useful groups and group -> user
>> associations) as *well* as add the audit group.
>
> Well unless -p changes mergemaster's behaviour, the general idea is
> that you
> press 'm' for merge ( correct me if I'm wrong but I think
> mergemaster was
> named after this feature :P ). It will let you add the new audit
> group _and_
> keep the extra groups.

I can vouch for this working properly!

I just ran mergemaster -p in the process of upgrading, when it gets
to the passwd and group file, I press M for merge, and select from l
and r (left and right) which side I want to keep. Thus I get the new
FreeBSD ID string, the new audit group, and all my old local mods.

Scott