quota deadlock on 6.1-RC1

David Nugent davidn at datalinktech.com.au
Mon May 8 03:34:31 UTC 2006

Janet Sullivan wrote:

> Mike Jakubik wrote:
>
>> arrive at the sacrifice of stability. I think FreeBSD should only be
>> released when known major bugs are worked out. A known broken release
>> to me and most new users is useless, lets not release simply for the
>> sake of numbering.
>

> For me, and many other quiet users, FreeBSD *IS* stable.  I've been
> running 6.1 since the BETAs with no issues.

Likewise, or at least very few.

> No, I don't use quotas.  I doubt the majority of FreeBSD users do.

I don't either, but "the majority of FreeBSD users" is a shifting thing,
and very hard to make generalisations about. Once quota was about shell
users, now it's more common for mail servers to manage storage quotas in
a more appropriate way according to their storage mechanism and there
are less shell users due to more convenient and "user friendly"
networking applications that provide functionality that can be more
easily secured.

Quotas are now used more often with samba than anything else, and of
course it's use has skyrocketted in recent years for obvious reasons. So
who knows...

Regards,
David