quota deadlock on 6.1-RC1

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 6 19:54:36 UTC 2006

On Sat, 6 May 2006, Chris wrote:

> are snapshots a default setting?

In case people want to avoid using snapshots, here are the uses I'm currently
aware of in the base system:

- Background file system check uses snapshots.  This can be disabled by using
   background_fsck="NO" in /etc/rc.conf.

- dump uses snapshots if the -L paramater is specified, in order to take an
   atomic backup of the system.  It won't use snapshots unless explicitly
   specified.

- mksnap_ffs uses snapshots, as it's the operator snapshot creation tool.

FWIW, I and a moderate number of other people use snapshots daily on quite
busy and over-burdened machines without problems.

Also, as an FYI, several quota-related snapshot fixes went into CVS in the
last 24-48 hours.  Once they've settled for a few weeks, and assuming they
don't have complex dependencies, they will get merged to RELENG_6.
Presumably if there is sufficient demand, and they adequately address the
reports of deadlocks with quotas+snapshots, they could be merged to RELENG_6_1
as an errata update.

Robert N M Watson