6.1-RC and the audit group

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 6 09:48:38 UTC 2006

On Sat, 6 May 2006, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Last night I updated on of my machines from 6.0-RELEASE to 6.1-RC. As far as
> I understand, I followed the instructions correctly - in particular:
>
> boot -s
> # fsck -p
> # mount -u /
> # mount -a
> # adjkerntz -i
> # cd /usr/src
> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
>
> I found that installworld stops, because the 'audit' group has not been
> created. Now I just pressed 'return' for the default actions during
> mergemaster -p, but I didn't notice any mention of the audit group.
>
> after manually adding it, and re-running installworld, I noticed that (after
> delete-old) the second 'mergemaster' has a group temporary file with 'audit'
> in it (as it wanted to remove mine and add its own - I'd used 70 instead of
> 77 as gid).
>
> So...err, I obviously missed something in during mergemaster -p, where does
> it do the audit addition?

mergemaster -p should pick it up -- I can't help but wonder if maybe you did
actually try to merge the change but perhaps made a mistake in merging
previously?  mergemaster detects changes in files by looking at their
$FreeBSD$ ID string.  Normally, mergemaster won't present a file for update if
the strings are the same, regardless of other differences, as it will assume
they are local changes.  If it had previously tried to present the addition of
the audit group, and you had missed it then, it would not notice it this time
around.  You might notice, however, in installworld, as a dependence on the
group existing was added after the group was added.

Robert N M Watson