'camcontrol rescan all' does not find the attached tape drive

Adam fbsd at globalmegahost.com
Wed May 3 18:46:46 UTC 2006

Hi Scott.

I am grateful for and honored by your response.  I am pretty much stuck
with the asr device for now, but I would love a list of quality hardware
raid devices and related management utilities that can be used with
freebsd/linux.

I can get raidutil (sysutils/asr-utils) to recognize a tape drive that was
not present during boot by direct inquiry (raidutil -I d0b1t6d0).
Unfortunately, camcontrol rescan all will not see the device unless it was
present at boot.  If I boot with one tape drive attached, power it down,
camcontrol rescan all (and confirm that it is gone), attach a different
tape drive (use the appropriate raidutil -I d0b1t#d0 command to tell the
asr0 where the tape drive can be found), a camcontrol rescan of the bus
with the tape drive never returns nor can it be killed.  If anyone wants
more data or testing on that, I'll be happy to do what I can.

I can accept that the issue is the vendor/hardware (asr) and not the
software (freebsd).  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Adam

[snipped by Adam]