Which RC?

David Nugent davidn at datalinktech.com.au
Tue May 2 23:59:41 UTC 2006

Pietro Cerutti wrote:

> just updated my RELENG_6 as Tue May  2 08:25:55 CEST 2006
>
> There are some things that are not clear about the version:
>
> - uname says FreeBSD 6.1-RC #0
> - on the FreeBSD FTP site the RC directory is now RC2
> (pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/6.1-RC2)
> - on the FreeBSD web site the schedule for 6.1 says that actually
> 6.1-RC1 has been released
>
> How do I know which RC I'm currently running?

You can sync your /usr/src with the time of RC2's release by extracting
and build that specific version from CVS, but you'll want to track
subsequent patches as well, right?

RELENG_6 just builds with a -RC tag for now due to the version bump. It
will revert to -STABLE once the -RELEASE is out, but built and installed
from source you don't get the -RELEASE or -RC<number> tag unless you
actually build a release (a la: cd /usr/src/release; make  release
BUILDNAME=? RELEASE=? CVSROOT=?), specify that as a tag and then do a
binary upgrade.