quota deadlock on 6.1-RC1

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue May 2 18:23:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:08:44PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:03:13PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> >
> >>Ditto, same thing with the recent nve fixes. Why release known broken
> >>code when there are tested patches available? Whats the worst that will
> >>happen? It wont work? Thats already the case...
> >>

> >What patches?  If you're talking about the mpsafe quota patches, they
> >don't address the deadlocks.
> >

> The fix to nve timeouts found on the amd64 list.

OK, I can't speak to that issue specifically.

Generally, though, the worst that can happen is "you fix one problem
affecting a subset of users and replace it with a larger problem
affecting a larger subset of users".

If there's doubt about the impact of a change, 10 seconds before the
release is not the appropriate time to cram it in.

Kris