[Fwd: Re: Still ATAPICAM Lockup/Slowdown]

Søren Schmidt sos at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 30 12:42:55 UTC 2006

On Tor, 2006-03-30 at 12:07 +0100, Adam Retter wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 12:42 +0200, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> > On Tor, 2006-03-30 at 11:09 +0100, Adam Retter wrote:
> > > Soren,
> > >
> > > I am using FreeBSD 6-STABLE and have a problem with the atapicam driver,
> > > I have been in contact with Thomas Quinot through the FreeBSD stable
> > > mailing list (his name was on the code for atapicam), I have sent him
> > > boot -v -h output as suggested, but he is not sure whats wrong - he has
> > > suggested that I contact you as you are responsible for the ATA
> > > sub-system.
> > >
> > > Would you be so good as to take a look at the attached forwarded message
> > > please?
> >
> > Looks like atapicam does some operation that locks/hangs the device(s)
> > causing endless resets/retry loops..
> > Does the system boot correctly without atapicam in the kernel and are
> > the devices accessible through the plain ATA/ATAPI devices ?
>
> Yes the system will boot fine without atapicam in the kernel and all
> devices are accessible. I only need atapicam for CD/DVD writting.

OK, so the problem is in atapicam interaction somehow.

> Whats the next move, do I take what you have said back to Thomas Quinot?

Yes, Thomas is the way to go. If the problem(s) needs something specific
to be changed/fixed in ATA then is the time to get back to me so it can
be incorporated. Of course I'll answer questions as to how interaction
with ATA should be handled along the way if need be, but I dont have the
time nor motivation to dig into how/why/if atapicam works...

-Søren