6.1-PRERELEASE: freezing

László Károly laszlokaroly at tvnetwork.hu
Thu Mar 30 12:40:36 UTC 2006

Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:03:30 -0800 Sam Leffler wrote:
>> László Károly wrote:

> It's freezing (actually it's an IRQ storm) when the cooler temperature
> is increased and the speed of the fan should be increased.
>
>>> I have the same box and I too made an upgrade yesterday (from a
>>> two-week-old 6.1-PRERELEASE). The same experience: the system became
>>> unusably slow, no problem without ACPI.
>>> Good question ;-): how to debug a system which practically does not
>>> react but "runs"?
>
>> Are you running powerd?  I've got an nx6125 (amd cpu) that has
>> numerous acpi issues and also would lockup when idle.  I found turning
>> off powerd stopped the latter.  Unfortunately there are still many
>> other unresolved issues (and no time to pursue them).
>
> I found when things went broken. It is the patch(es) as of
> 2006-01-13. The patch is at attachment. After applying (reversed)
> patch acpi is working as well as management of the cooler speed.
>
> Sam, should I do some other testing?
>
> László, can you apply the patch (cd /usr/src; patch -R -p0
> _the_patch_), make kernel and tell us if the problem go out?
> As for me the reversed patch worked for current 6.1-PRERELEASE
> (cvsupped some hours ago).
Great, it works for me.

Thanks, Laci

- --
László Károly                       <laszlokaroly at tvnetwork.hu>
Department of Altaic Studies                    Egyetem str. 2.
University of Szeged                     H-6722 Szeged, Hungary

PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/869D81C5
Fingerprint: 1E61 3205 8F5A 87E7 1269  3396 1C63 F9FF 869D 81C5
Encrypted e-mail preferred.