GRUB does not boot FreeBSD after installworld ...

Norbert Augenstein norbert at augenstein.net
Wed Mar 29 21:05:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 20:07 +0100, freebsd at anjos.strangled.net wrote:
> > From: Norbert Augenstein <norbert at augenstein.net>
> > Subject: GRUB does not boot FreeBSD after installworld ...
> >
> > HI,
> >
> > i have updatete to 6.1-PRERELEASE and after the "installworld" step GRUB
> > is unable to boot FreeBSD.
>
> Perhaps it wasn't the installworld step that caused this...
> The boot record isn't touched...

I did a reboot after "installkernel" so i know the 6.1-PRE kernel was
able to boot, and GRUB did not complain too.
So whatelse could have changed?

> > After i did the installworld and rebooted the GRUB error was:
> >
> > 23 : Error while parsing number
> >
> > I have reinstalled the standard FreeBSD loader for now.
> >
> > Booting with a GRUB boot-floppy i am able to start either XP or Linux
> > but trying to start FreeBSD the system just reboots, no errormessage.
> >
> > I have already tried to install GRUB to MBR again, but no go, the system
> > just reboots if i try to start FreeBSD.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> How are you installing grub? From floppy?

yes, booting from grub-floppy

root (hd0,1,a)
kernel /boot/loader
setup (hd0)

no error up to here!
but typing "boot" does not boot, it reboots the system without
errormessage.
Booting XP or Linux works with the grub-floppy by just typing the root
and kernel line from menu.lst and "boot"

[auge at seth ~]% cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
default 0
timeout 2

title FreeBSD --> The Power to Serve
root (hd0,1,a)