6.1-PRERELEASE: freezing

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Mon Mar 27 18:30:52 UTC 2006

Hi!

I've had 6.0-STABLE as of jan-2006. Yesterday it was upgraded to
current 6.1-PRERELEASE (tag=RELENG_6). The hardware is HP/Compaq
nx6110 notebook.

After upgrading mashine is freezing under load. After booting the
OS without any actions it's OK for two hours. But after starting of
make buildkernel the mashine freezes.

I run top on ttyv1 (make buildkernel on ttyv2). After aprox. 3-5
minutes it freezes. I have at kernel config:

options         KDB
options         KDB_TRACE
options         DDB
options         DDB_NUMSYM

So pressing <C-A-Esc> then "c", <enter> let make buildkernel to
proceed a couple of seconds. And so on. Each command followed by
<C-A-Esc>, "c", <enter> unfreezes my notebook for awhile. "Top" shows
only two commands at RUN state: make (cc) and devd.

I launched devd -Dd. There is the result (written many times) after
unfreezing the mashine with the magic keystrokes:
-----
Processing event '!system=ACPI subsystem=Thermal type=\_TZ_.TZ1_ notify=0x80'
Pushing table
setting system=ACPI
setting subsystem=Thermal
setting type=\_TZ_.TZ1_
setting notify=0x80
Processing notify event
Testing system=ACPI against ^ACPI
Testing subsystem=Thermal against ^ACAD
Testing system=ACPI against ^ACPI
Testing subsystem=Thermal against ^Thermal
Testing notify=0x80 against ^0xcc
Testing system=ACPI against ^IFNET
Testing system=ACPI against ^IFNET
Popping table
-----

Booting with ACPI disabled helps as well as kernel.old with it's
modules.

/etc/make.conf:
-----
KERNCONF?=      NX6110
X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=fc3
PERL_VER=5.8.7
PERL_VERSION=5.8.7
-----

What type of debugging should I do to find up what's up?

Thanks.
--
Boris B. Samorodov, Research Engineer
InPharmTech Co,     http://www.ipt.ru