a place for configuration files

Jeff Fisher jeff at home.jeffenstein.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 23 18:45:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:24:04AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> From: Vivek Khera <vivek at khera.org>
> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:24:04 -0500
> To: freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable at freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: a place for configuration files
>

> On Mar 22, 2006, at 8:28 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >	I think having a /usr/local/etc is "new" (past decade maybe),
>
> We've had /usr/local on Sun boxes since I can remember (started using
> SunOS 2.x back in college) and administering 4.2BSD (not FreeBSD 4.2,
> but 4.2BSD from Berkeley) on vaxen 'round about 1986-ish and we had /
> usr/local for local (ie, not part of the base system) software.  In
> fact, it was actually a separate disk partition too.

At more than one place where I've worked, /usr/local was a common NFS mount, which
meant a lot less overhead for installing site-local packages.

Depending on the number of servers you're managing, it can be quite a bit
easier to do this (or use rsync/rdist) to have a common site-wide repository
of local software, than to manage local packages, and their dependencies /
upgrades across all servers.

--
jeff at jeffenstein.dyndns.org         http://jeffenstein.dyndns.org/
PGP mail preferred, key id 0x19C987F5