Non-boot on RELENG_6 1930 UTC source using XP's ntldr

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu Mar 23 18:33:02 UTC 2006

I updated my system on 22 March with sources available on the mirrors at
11:30 PST and ended up with a system that wouldn't boot. It would get
to the point that I chose FreeBSD using ntldr and it just stopped.

The XP sytem used an older boot1 to boot FreeBSD. I could use the
6.0-Release CD fixit option to go back to the system update of 18 March.

Since then, I have found that if I unload the 18 March kernel, load the
22 March kernel and boot, I get a btx dump. However, if you replace the
old boot1 used by the ntldr with the one created by the new version of
the OS, you can boot just fine.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart