FreeBSD/AMD64 6.1-Beta4: Strange problem with install CDs boot loader

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 17:25:22 UTC 2006

I recently purchased a HP Pavilion dv8135nr Laptop.

  The strange problem I had was that when the boot loader would load
it would crash if I didn't touch any key on the keyboard.

The last thing I saw, before it crashed was it reading the
/boot/loader.conf off the CD.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to read
the crash, as the screen at that point was unreadable.  I suspect that
the point in which it crashed was when it was loading the kernel, but
before it displayed the message that it was loading
/boot/kernel/kernel.

This problem occured with both the FreeBSD/AMD64 boot-only and disc1
install CD-ROMs.

  Thinking that I may need to disable something with acpi, I tried to
break into the boot loader by pressing the space bar repeatedly.  But
it wouldn't break into the boot loader, instead it loaded the kernel
and I was able to install FreeBSD/AMD64  6.1-Beta 4.

Once I had FreeBSD/AMD64 6.1-Beta 4 installed, I was able to
repeatedly boot the system from the Hard Drive without the boot loader
crashing.

Anyone else have a problem with the AMD64 install CDs?

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.