Still ATAPICAM Lockup/Slowdown

Adam Retter adam at adamretter.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Mar 22 10:59:14 UTC 2006

Hi Chaps I am tracking 6-STABLE,

FreeBSD funkalicious.home.dom 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #9:
Wed Mar 22 00:31:59 GMT 2006
adam at funkalicious.home.dom:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/funkalicious  i386

If I kldload atapicam, the command returns to the # prompt but then the
system is basially not responsive, I can type something like
# ls
but the command never returns, if I try and switch console to my X
console it kinda freezes halfway there.

I think there are problems with atapicam...

I have also tried compiling atapicam into my kernel -
I have a fairly straight-forward kernel config (see below) I think, yet
if I enable "device atapicam", and buildkernel and installkernel and
reboot, the system starts up fine until it get's to finding disks and
then it goes incredibly slowly, takes about 5 minutes to get to
"harvesting interupts" and so on and so on, I think it will eventually
get to the login prompt, but I havent been tolerant to wait that long
>15 minutes.

Are there known problems with atapicam? or conditions under which it
causes a massive system slow down, some sort of conflict timeout or loop
problem maybe?

My System is -

Intel Pentium IV 3.2GHz
MSI 848P-Neo Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM (2x1GB)
1 x 120GB Maxtor SATA Hard Disk
HighPoint Tech RocketRaid 1640 RAID5 Card (with 3 x 250GB Maxtor SATA
Hard Disks attached)
NVIDIA GeForce 6800LE 256MB

I have tried booting the system with and without the HighPoint RAID
Driver (hpt374.ko = http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/bios_rr1640.htm)
loaded and it seems to make no difference. I have also at one stage
removed the RAID card from the system, but this also seemed to make no
difference.

If I dont use "device atapicam" the system is perfect, but I could
really do with enabling it, for CD/DVD writting purposes...

Thanks Adam.

Kernel config (with atapicam commented out!)

makeoptions     COPTFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math"

machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           funkalicious

options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
#options        SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread
preemption

options         INET                    # InterNETworking
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates
support
options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control
lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big
directories
options         MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires
PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_GPT                # GUID Partition Tables.
options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
options         SCSI_DELAY=5000         # Delay (in ms) before probing
SCSI
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.

device          apic            # I/O APIC

# Bus support.
device          eisa
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device          ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering

# ATAPI -> SCSI Interface, mainly for cdrecord
#device         atapicam        # causes boot problems?!? (huge system
slow down)

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI
access)
device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and
SAF-TE)
device          cd              # CD

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse

device          vga             # VGA video card driver

device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc

# Enable this for the pcvt (VT220 compatible) console driver
#device         vt
#options        XSERVER         # support for X server on a vt console
#options        FAT_CURSOR      # start with block cursor

#Disabled so we use nvidias own agp driver
#device         agp             # support several AGP chipsets

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx

# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device          pmtimer

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these
NICs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          rl              # RealTek 8129/8139

# Pseudo devices.
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          mem             # Memory and kernel memory devices
device          io              # I/O device
device          random          # Entropy device
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          tun             # Packet Tunnel. (needed for qemu!)

device          bpf             # Berkeley Packaet Filter (Needed for
DHCP Client)

# USB support
device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB2 interface
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus
and da

# Sound Support
device sound
device "snd_ich"