Problems with hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest=C2 (Re: cvs commit: src/etc/defaults rc.conf)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Mar 13 08:40:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 01:30:07AM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 10:17:47PM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> > Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > >C2, sorry.
> >
> > Ah, C0 should be disallowed already I thought (try it).
> >
> > As for C2, I MFCd a patch to acpi_cpu.c in November that should prevent
> > this (1.57.2.1).  Do you get a printf on console?
>
> This might be it: turns out I never rebooted to the newer kernel I
> built earlier this month, and I am still running a kernel from Nov 6.
> I'll get back to you.

I finally managed to test this in RELENG_6.  The system performance is
not obviously bad, but sound playback is distorted (e.g. the 'bell' in
KDE is much higher pitched than it should be, and on the console it is
low pitched and lasting about 3 seconds).  Nothing is logged on
console.

There may be other problems that I didn't notice right away, but the
sound problems were enough to make me turn it off again.

Kris