libthr + libtool bump + mysql

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 03:27:56 UTC 2006

On 11/03/06, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 01:19:54AM +0000, Chris wrote:
> > I wasn't aware ports removed support right away tho so thank you for
> > clarifying that for me.
>
> There is not enough FTP space for packages corresponding to every
> port, for every release.  We keep packages for the latest release
> on each branch, and the current state of that branch.
>
> We "support" building ports on as many releases as is feasible.
> Right now that's 4.11, 4-stable, 5.4, 5-stable, 6.0, 6-stable, and
> 7-current.  Even this is, as you can imagine, a great deal of work.
> In particular, anyone on 4.x before 4.10 and 5.x before 5.3 is going
> to have a lot of trouble because of various incompatibilities.
>
> > If things goto schedule, will both these releases be treated as
> > supported by the ports tree?  And why is 5.5 been released at all
> > if people should be upgrading to 6.x to remain supported?
>
> Yes, both will be supported by the ports tree.  5.5 is being released
> because we promised that there would be one more release from the
> 5.x tree -- and for that reason only.  However, it is simply infeasible
> to back-port all the fixes in 6.x to 5.x.
>
> We are pushing everyone to at least test 6.x because at the moment we
> are simply spread too thin to support all of these various possible
> combinations (don't forget that we also support multiple architectures).
> We have tried to plan for less overlap in the future to ease the
> support burden.  This is part of the lessons that we learned from 5.x.
>
> mcl

Yep understood, all my new servers I aim to have 6.0 installed and 6.1
when released, if the upgrade I am doing later this week or next week
goes well then other servers will follow.  I still admin one 4.10 box
which will of course eventually have to be formatted.  You do a good
job with maintaining ports compatiblity and I havent noticed any major
issues between different versions of freebsd.

Chris