rpc.lockd brokenness (2)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Mar 11 02:03:02 UTC 2006

I did some further testing and it turns out that rpc.lockd is broken
in some cases when operating over NFSv2 (this is the default for nfs
root mounts).

Tracing the lock traffic I see the client making a request, the server
replying but the client never acting on the reply (or never receiving
it), so it just retransmits every 20 seconds forever.

I'm not yet sure whether this is a regression in 6.x or another case
that was broken forever.

Unfortunately there's currently no option to use NFSv3 for nfs root
mounts to work around this (unless you're using bootp), but it should
just be a trivial matter of adding "| NFSMNT_NFSV3" to the flags in
nfsclient/nfs_diskless.c:nfs_setup_diskless():

	nd->root_args.flags = (NFSMNT_WSIZE | NFSMNT_RSIZE | NFSMNT_RESVPORT);

Kris