well-supported SATA RAID card?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sat Mar 11 02:02:08 UTC 2006

At 04:01 AM 10/03/2006, Brian Szymanski wrote:
>Howdy...
>
>After not having much success with the hptmv driver for highpoint's
>rocketraid 1820A, I'm wondering if other folks have had good luck with any
>SATA RAID cards with at least 6 ports... Is there a SATA RAID card with
>utilities that let you manage while the OS is running that folks have had
>good luck with? I've been happy with the megaraid series on linux at my
>job, but I'm wondering if the management utilities are there on freebsd,
>etc.

The 3Ware cards work really well under FreeBSD. I have dozens I have
been using for some time and they work and work well. Highly
recommended.  Over the years I am sure I have replaced a few dozen
dead drives and have not (knock on wood) had any issues rebuilding
degraded sets.  Another card I have been recently using is the ARECA.
Its quite a fast card and has a similar set of management utilities.
I have not been using it as long as the 3ware, but it seems pretty good too.

Both cards will install out of the box FreeBSD. The management apps
can be downloaded for free from www.3ware.com and ftp.areca.com.tw

         ---Mike