Fresh install on gmirror'ed disks?

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Tue Mar 7 13:22:23 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 01:56:57PM +0100, Volker wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> On 2006-03-07 13:45, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>
> > Are there instructions on how to do this to mirror a slice instead of
> > an entire disk?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Patrick
>
> Yes, Ralf S. Engelschall created a good guide:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/
>
> See 'GEOM mirror Approach 2: Single Slice, Preferred, More Flexible'

I _know_. This guide was first mentioned by me in this thread.
But it assumes

- install
- boot
- create mirror on second disk
- copy data
- reboot
- sync mirror

Now Joao said, creating a mirrored disk can be done from
the "emergency holographic shell" at install time. OK, fine.
Spares the copying.

My question was: can I create a mirrored slice instead of
a mirrored disk without copying the data at install time from
the emergency shell? Otherwise I will still have to use Ralf's
instructions, which are a bit more work to follow.

Thanks,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Vorholzstr. 25        Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100