RELENG_4 on flash disk and swap

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Mar 3 18:52:12 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-Mar-03 11:16:00 +0200, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:
> I'm running some heavy tests on my machine (256Mb RAM, HDD, no swap,
>4.11-RELEASE) such as "make buildwolrd". After successful completion of
>this procedure I issued "rm -rf /usr/obj/usr" and got the following
>(single) message from kernel:
>
>Mar  3 11:05:32 test3 /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
>
>Does anybody know whether it's harmless?

It depends what you mean by "harmless".  The kernel tried to allocate
swap space for a process and failed.  The kernel tries to recover by
killing the largest process (which should also be syslog'd).  I'm
surprised that you got this on the "rm" as the buildworld should
create bigger processes.  If the "rm" was killed, you will need to
re-issue it to actually delete the files.

--
Peter Jeremy