6.1-RELEASE won't boot on Compaq 1580

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Jun 30 22:03:15 UTC 2006

I've just acquired a couple of old Compaq Armada laptops.  I can
successfully install 6.1-RELEASE but the system won't boot from
the HDD:  The MBR menu displays but pressing F1 (the FreeBSD
partition) just beeps.  Pressing F3 (the Compaq configuration
partition) works.

I've checked that the CHS parameters in the MBR match those reported
by the "BIOS".  I've tried using boot0cfg (on the fixit CD) to switch
between packet and non-packet mode, as well as trying a 4.9-RELEASE
MBR.  I've checked that the boot sectors look sane (and in the correct
sectors) using dd.

I've previously used similar models with 4.11 so I wasn't expecting
any problems.

Before I start re-writing boot0.S, does anyone have any suggestions on
how to debug this or what I've missed?

--
Peter Jeremy