em device hangs on ifconfig alias ...

Atanas atanas at asd.aplus.net
Fri Jun 30 17:48:29 UTC 2006

Michael Vince said the following on 6/29/06 8:53 PM:

> The thing that have to ask is if Atanas has 100's why can't he just boot
> Freebsd have have them all prebound to the interface at startup, why
> would you need to add and remove them constantly by the hundreds during
> normal server uptime?

I wasn't talking about the normal server uptime. Sooner or later,
regardless of how perfect the hardware is and how great the OS performs,
you will have to reboot. At least once or twice a year to update the
kernel and/or world. Even in such rare occasions several minutes of
additional downtime per reboot (in my case) are not justifiable.

I know that in a perfect world this downtime could be scheduled. But I
prefer to keep the option to quickly reboot my systems when necessary. 2
  vs 10-15 minutes downtime per reboot really makes a difference.

How you bind the aliases doesn't really matter - you always end up
waiting the em driver to reset the card on each alias.

And don't get me wrong, I do use em for years on many machines having
one static IP or a few additional static aliases and it works great. It
just doesn't fit well in mass-alias configurations.

Regards,
Atanas