NFS Locking Issue

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Fri Jun 30 08:01:17 UTC 2006

> the one thing that sticks out to me about this report is that they
> upgraded teh NFS server to FC5 ... what was the server running before?  if
> FreeBSD, could the problem be an interaction problem between the NFS
> server and client, vs just the client side?

Previously the server used  Fedora Core 3. I think like you that it is an interaction
between client and server. For example we have a client machine running Debian
Unstable which had NFS problems interacting FC3 server and still has with FC5
server. But i don't have any more with Fbsd-6.1. As to the problem of the
machine freezing when the server freezes i have always seen that, both under
Linux and FreeBSD, nothing new. The freeze seems to me less severe now, that
is i have been able to log in root with the server down. The load on the
server is rather big, we are talking around 100 machines having their home
directories on the server.

--

Michel TALON