em device hangs on ifconfig alias ...

Michael Vince mv at thebeastie.org
Fri Jun 30 03:53:18 UTC 2006

User Freebsd wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2006-Jun-29 17:30:07 +1000, Michael Vince wrote:
>>
>>> For me its IP alias additions take 1 or maybe 2secs, but it is
>>> noticeable, but really isn't an issue for me.
>>

>> But it obviously is for Atanas, who has 100's of aliases.
>

> In my case, it isn't 100's, but the problem is noticeable ... I have
> my start up scripts, right now, do the ifconfig, sleep for 45 seconds,
> and then start up the jail ... and even then, apache doesn't *always*
> start up, since sometimes that isn't long enough for the network to
> come back up for DNS to be reachable :(
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)

The thing that have to ask is if Atanas has 100's why can't he just boot
Freebsd have have them all prebound to the interface at startup, why
would you need to add and remove them constantly by the hundreds during
normal server uptime?

I do restart my jails now and then, but because the IPs are already
bound to the interface I don't have any pause issues.

Mike