FreeBSD 6.1 Tor issues (Once More, with Feeling)

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Thu Jun 29 10:43:40 UTC 2006

Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Fabian Keil wrote:
>
> > I wish I could. The machine died before I read your message.
> >
> > I was logged in on the serial console running tail
> > -f /var/log/messages. Last messages were:
> >
> > Jun 29 00:42:20 tor kernel: Memory modified after free
> > 0xc4275000(2048) val=a020c0de @ 0xc4275000 Jun 29 00:42:20 tor
> > kernel: Memory modified after free 0xc4055800(2048) val=a020c0de @

> > 0xc432a000 Jun 29 00:42:24 tor kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA
> > retrying (1 retry left) LBA=34263674 Jun 29 00:42:24 tor kernel:
> > Memory modified after free 0xc3dff800(2048) val=a020c0d
> >
> > Ctrl+Alt+ESC didn't trigger any reaction, so I caused a reset
> > through the ISP's webinterface. Now the system appears to be hosed,
> > at least FreeBSD never reaches the login:
> >
> > PXELINUX 3.11 2005-09-02  Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
> > Booting from local disk...
> >
> > 1   Linux
> > 2   FreeBSD
> > 3   FreeBSD
> >
> > Default: 2
> >
> > [nothing]

> The ATA error above is a bit distressing, as is the fact that it
> won't boot. Is "[nothing]" normally the FreeBSD boot loader rather
> than nothing?

The "1 Linux ..." part already is the FreeBSD boot loader.
Normally it goes:

PXELINUX 3.11 2005-09-02  Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
Booting from local disk...

1   Linux
2   FreeBSD
3   FreeBSD

Default: 2

FreeBSD/i386 (tor.fabiankeil.de) (ttyd0)

login:

> I would suggest running some hardware diagnostics to
> make sure we're dealing with reliable hardware before continuing so
> that we're not chasing both hardware and software problems, since you
> can't reliably debug software problems in the presence of hardware
> failures.

I'll see what the ports collection has to offer (running
smartmontools right now) but so far it's the only ATA message I got.

> > Probably something which would be easy to resolve with keyboard
> > access and a screen, but I think I'm forced to use the
> > "RecoveryManager". Unfortunately "recovery" means reinstalling the
> > preconfigured GNU/Linux which I than can replace with FreeBSD
> > again. If there ever was a core dump it will be gone, and so will
> > be kernel.debug.

Lucky me. The "RecoveryManager" turned out to be a full featured
PXE-booted GNU/Linux system. It allowed me to fetch and replace
/dev/ad0s2a (/) through ssh. The system is online again.

After fsck -y /dev/ad0s3d (/usr) the whole tor jail is gone,
but the rest of this slice seems to be ok, including kernel.debug.

I can't fsck /var:
[fk at tor ~]$ sudo fsck /dev/ad0s3d
** /dev/ad0s3d
** Last Mounted on /var
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
fsck_4.2bsd: cannot alloc 1082190976 bytes for inoinfo

but it can still be mounted. No core dump though.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/