SMP system not running SMP

UEMURA (fka. MAENAKA) Tetsuya maenaka at pluto.dti.ne.jp
Wed Jun 28 03:26:26 UTC 2006

Posted on Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:06:51 +0100
by author Pete French <petefrench at ticketswitch.com>
> Whats the motherboard and chipset ? The problem only seems to
> happen on those 8111 / 8131 based boards - if it's one of those
> and it runs then I'd be extremely interested!
Just FYI. I manage a 4 cores SMP server using Tyan B2881G28U4H [1] on
which there are AIC-7902 and AMD-81x1. A MaxTronic RAID enclosure is
connected to AIC-7902 and FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 is booted off from it.

By default, FreeBSD couldn't start. Dumping the ahd state when probing
the da and simply stopped. So I set the SCSI BIOS to restrict the device
speed upto 80MB/s and the problem went away. After that, the machine
runs flawlessly for 8 months.

[1] http://www.tyan.com/products/html/gx28b2881_spec.html

--
UEMURA (fka. MAENAKA) Tetsuya <maenaka at pluto.dti.ne.jp>