Whats the difference

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Tue Jun 27 23:36:45 UTC 2006

Mihir Sanghavi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new member to FreeBSD on the whole. I would like to know the
> differences between FreeBSD 4.7, 5.X and 6.1. My company is using BSD
> 4.7 currently and I would like it to change to 5 or 6. What technical
> difficulties might I face or how much code would be needed to
> re-written. I do understand that these are too broad questions but any
> sort of input would be helpful at this stage. Please email me back to
> mihir.sanghavi at gmail.com. Thanking everyone in advance.

There are many improvements in FreeBSD 6 over 4, specially for new
hardware and SMP systems (multi cpu or dual core cpus). If you have an
old machine, which is not connected to an external network then there
probably inst any good reason to upgrade, but i would consider it in the
near future, as official support for 4.x has been dropped. I cant say
what code you need to rewrite, as i don't know what application you are
using.