Problem with filesystem on RAID5 array (fsck -b?)

Morten A. Middelthon morten at freenix.no
Tue Jun 27 12:55:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 02:49:37PM +0200, Morten A. Middelthon wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 on a Dell PowerEdge 1850 with an attached
> Dell PowerVault 220S disk cabinet. The cabinet has two RAID5 arrays each with
> 6 x 300GB SCSI disks. The RAID controller is a Dell PERC4/DC using the amr
> driver. Two days ago a disk failed in one of the arrays. Rebuilding the array
> after replacing the broken disk did not work as it should, so after discussing
> our options with Dell support they recommended I should delete the array on
> the controller BIOS, then create a new identical array without initializing
> it. According to their theory the data should be intact. Unfortunately, that
> doesn't seem to be the case. When FreeBSD boots I get an "UNEXPECTED
> INCONSISTENCY" error message when the filesystem is mounted, and then I have
> to run fsck manually. When running fsck I get this message:
<snip>

I just noticed another thing. The two arrays should be identical in size,
although they are not:

amr0: delete logical drives supported by controller
amrd0: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
amrd0: 1430505MB (2929674240 sectors) RAID 5 (optimal)
amrd1: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
amrd1: 1430400MB (2929459200 sectors) RAID 5 (optimal)
amr1: delete logical drives supported by controller

Is it perhaps possible to change the partition info to match the old
functioning array?

--
Morten A. Middelthon

75% of the Earth is covered by water, Jeeps cover the rest.