FreeBSD 6.x CVSUP today crashes with zero load ...

M.Hirsch webmaster at hirsch.it
Tue Jun 27 00:06:38 UTC 2006

Yes, the result may be correct.
'Do not take "ECC" for "equals additional security"'

So I understand what's ECC good for, other than the usual "marketing talk".

But, in FreeBSD, the function is a result of hardware-level correction.
Something that only kicks in in _real_ _serious_ situations.
I just would like you (not specifically you, Dmitry) to aknowledge that
broken RAM is worth a "panic" in "standard situations"- if I may call it
like that.

If the RAM is broken for some bits, chances are great that there are
more following soon.
... from the replies I got via PM, I feel some people don't agree with
that....

Sticks don't just break on a single bit. From my experience, a stick
that's got any problems at all, will cause even more trouble soon...
If a hardware problem isn't worth panick'ing, what else is?
(don't answer this one please, this was a rhetorical question - to those
who didn't get it...)

Still, I'd rather have the node break down completely than that...

M.^