FreeBSD 6.x CVSUP today crashes with zero load ...

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 26 21:27:04 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:21:22PM +0200, M.Hirsch wrote..
> ECC is a way to mask broken hardware. I rather have my hardware fail
> directly when it does first, so I can replace it _immediately_
> What's your hardware good for if it passes a "test", but fails in
> production?
>
> ECC is totally overrated.

Balderdash.

Following your rationale you want your bank account data
silently be corrupted by hardware with bit errors?  Be my guest, give
me ECC any day.

Proper hardware will log the ECC errors, a proper OS tailored to that
hardware will log and notify the sysadmins.

That is how it should be done.

Wilko

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko at FreeBSD.org