FreeBSD 6.x CVSUP today crashes with zero load ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Mon Jun 26 11:12:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Pete French wrote:
>
>>> 'k, I'm starting to get the impression that FreeBSD 6.x is evil ... at
>>> least as far as Dual-PIII servers are concerned ... on a machine that,
>>
>> I can't comment on your other problems - but I have a dual PIII server and
>> say a 30% performance increase when moving to 6.x over 5.x ... and it's
>> been rock solid. I only run releases on that box though, but it does
>> perform really nicely on PIII duals when you can get it stable. Seems a
>> shame that you are having so many problems.
>
> I'm also running 6.x on several dual-PIII without problems.  An issue local
> to Marc's setup is definitely indicated.  Given the failure mode, I would be
> worried about a potential hardware issue, although subtle hardware and subtle
> system software problems are sometimes difficult to distinguish.

Well, I've been trying to do it 'the hardway' ... went back to the
original kernel, and am slowly upgrading forward ... I'm currently running
a June 15th kernel with none of the problems that I was seeing before ...
I'm just in the process of running my third 'make -j3 buildworld' on this
kernel, and its clean ... going to go forward to June 22nd next, see if
that too is clean *cross fingers*

----