vmstat 'b' (disk busy?) field keeps climbing ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sat Jun 24 17:57:29 UTC 2006

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Kostik Belousov wrote:

>> MGF> is there a way of finding out what processes are blocked?
>>
>> Aren't they in 'D' status by ps?
> Use ps axlww. In this way, at least actual blocking points are shown.

'k, stupid question then ... what am I searching for?

# ps axlww | awk '{print $9}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
  654 select
  230 lockf
  166 wait
   85 -
   80 piperd
   71 nanslp
   33 kserel
   22 user
   10 pause
    9 ttyin
    5 sbwait
    3 psleep
    3 accept
    2 kqread
    2 Giant
    1 vlruwt
    1 syncer
    1 sdflus
    1 ppwait
    1 ktrace
    1 MWCHAN

According to vmstat, I'm holding at '4 blocked' for the most part ...
sbwwait is socket related, not disk ... and none of the others look right

---- Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . scrappy at hub.org MSN . scrappy at hub.org Yahoo . yscrappy Skype:
hub.org ICQ . 7615664