maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.org
Thu Jun 22 07:43:40 UTC 2006

Hi

Today I woke up and was not able to log in to my system (ssh). Some
stuff worked (DNS for example, this box runs bind), altough the IMAP
server didnt work to well...
Anyway, I checked out local console:

maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5).

Repeated 23 times...

I was not able to do anything, neither local or remote, ACPI didnt
work very well except for giving me
acpi: suspend request ignored (not ready yet)
the second time I pressed the power button... So a hard reboot it was.

Anyway.. I'm using default login.conf, which have unlimited for all
resource limits.. So wtf is this?

As far as I know there shouldnt be any processes running away but you
never know... The only thing would be a "umount -f /some/nfs" and a
"df -h" running (the umount as root) but both hanged since the NFS
volume was unreachable, but why would this fork like this?

Dunno what more info could be useable, doesnt have much more in logs...

Ström