Help? 6.1-S: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

Lord Reaper lordreaper at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 18:41:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:22:40 -0700 David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org> wrote:

>Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>cpuid = 0; apic id = 06
>fault virtual address   = 0x0
>fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
>instruction pointer     = 0x20:0x0
>stack pointer           = 0x28:0xf09b3b98
>frame pointer           = 0x28:0xf09b3bcc
>code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>current process         = 23782 (ecelerity)
>[thread pid 23782 tid 100120 ]
>Stopped at      0:      *** error reading from address 0 ***

I had similar problems when updating from 5.4 to 6.1 because of
nvidia-driver. After changing the card, the system worked like a charm.
Later on recompiling nvidia-driver (forgot to deinstall it) resulted in
the machine crashing and rebooting itself. This happened with a
non-nvidia graphic adapter installed. I remember hearing that
optimizations might be the cause of the driver failing.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sampsa Suoninen