unmounting a filesystem safely that doesn't exist anymore

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 19:51:34 UTC 2006

Björn König wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I did a mistake: I unplugged my digital camera accidentally before I unmounted the
> filesystem. *doh* This happens very often, because I'm very scatterbrained. =) The kernel
> will panic and all filesystems remain unclean in any case now. I know that this is a well
> know issue and in past discussions you stated that this behaviour is intended and won't be
> changed ad hoc. I just want to know if somebody knows a workaround or small trick that
> prevents the other filesystems from being unclean on next boot-up.

You might give the automounter (am-utils) a whirl. They are very
confusing to set up, but you can set the unmount-if-unused timeout to
something like 5 seconds. This could narrow the window enough to not
panic you system frequently :)

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: 20FEE9DD				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: AEC9 AF5E 01AC 4EE1 8F70  6CBD E76E 2227 20FE E9DD