loader and ifconfig_*_name problem in 6.1-STABLE of 5 June

Hiroo Ono hiroo at oikumene.gcd.org
Tue Jun 6 22:44:25 UTC 2006

At Tue, 06 Jun 2006 13:17:38 -0400,
Michael Butler wrote:

> Hiroo Ono wrote:
> > I upgraded via build/installworld from 6.1-PRERELEASE as of 27 Mars
> > to 6.1-STABLE 5 June, and encounterd 2 problems.
>
>   [ .. snip .. ]
>
> >   I copied the old /boot/loader.old to /boot/loader as a workaround.
> >   I have
> >     CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe
> >     COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe
>
> Please remove these and re-test. The default is "-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing" which generates slightly different code in some instances,

Thank you.
I commented out above two lines from /etc/make.conf and did
build/installkernel, build/installworld again (a little
superfluous maybe).  So, the loader and the kernel must be built
with default options.

The result was same. Loading new kernel with the new loader reboots the
machine.

The CPU is an athlon (CPU lines from dmesg were as follows).
I do not remember what was the chipset now;

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+ (1403.19-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x662  Stepping = 2
  Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CM
OV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
  AMD Features=0xc0480800<SYSCALL,MP,MMX+,3DNow+,3DNow>