[OT] resolv.conf and dhclient

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 17:33:12 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> Damian Gerow <dgerow at afflictions.org> writes:
>
> > I've often wondered why dhclient.conf doesn't have an 'ignore'
> directive.
> > There's a 'require' in there; it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to
> > 'ignore' something.
>
> Why not just write a simple script for one of the hooks that
> dhclient-script(8) supports?

Well... this would be mildly acceptable if he were the only one with this
problem, but I suspect it's much more common.  I use the wireless interface
on my laptop (in general) for internet access ... and thus desire the
behaviour where the nameservers are written to resolv.conf and I use the
wired ethernet (in general) to configure all manner of little routers and
whatnot (so I don't want resolv.conf rewritten).  Thus the simple solution
'chflags /etc/resolv.conf' doesn't work.  An ignore directive would work ---
as would writing a script --- but it seems that this issue is common enough
to argue for the ignore directive.