vr card issues on 6.1-STABLE

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Thu Jun 1 03:43:24 PDT 2006

Gray Lilley wrote:
> After a motherboard failure in a machine, I purchased a cheap AXPER
> motherboard to replace it.  The machine is a Socket478 P4 with a Via
> Rhine onboard NIC.
[...]

 > Once booted, the machine is contactable locally, can be pinged and can
 > ssh to it.  After what appears to be a random amount of time (I have
 > observed between 5 and 30 minutes as of now), the vr0 interface seems to
 > just hang.  The machine cannot be pinged, and no services running on the
 > machine are contactable.

I have 2 machines with motherboard EPOX 8kra2+ with VIA Rhine vr0 NIC.
One as desktop and the second as testing machine. Both with AMD Barton 2500+
On desktop machine I can run w2k, FreeBSD 5.4 and FreeBSD 6.1 (6.0
earlier), on testing machine is FreeBSD 6.0. On desktop I mainly work
under w2k, connecting by Putty SSH to testing machine and others.
Sometimes I am working under FreeBSD 5.4 or 6.1, conecting to other
machines on the internet (outgoing ftp/ssh/http) without any problems
for about one year. Maybe I have luck, but I can't say anything bad
about vr0.

  > Kernel is GENERIC with the majority of SCSI/RAID removed.

I have GENERIC on testing machine and own kernel (GENERIC without
SCSI/RAID) on desktop.

Miroslav Lachman