smb_maperror: Unmapped error 1:158

Steve Hodgson steve at stevehodgson.co.uk
Sun Jan 29 09:58:37 PST 2006

Mike Jakubik wrote:

> Anyone know what the problem is? I've searched around, and people have
> reported this as far as the 4.x days, however no one ever replied to
> any of these reports. In some cases, people report lockups of machines
> and slow downs accessing the share. In my case, i am experiencing a
> slow down.
>
> I pointed rhythmbox to my media library, which is mounted from a
> samba3 server on another fbsd box and this is what i see in the logs:
>
> Jan 26 17:01:47 desktop kernel: smb_maperror: Unmapped error 1:158
> Jan 26 17:02:18 desktop last message repeated 52 times
> Jan 26 17:04:19 desktop last message repeated 646 times
> Jan 26 17:14:20 desktop last message repeated 6342 times

I get this message frequently, almost every time I access my media
library over samba. I have always put it down to a character encoding
issue, but I have never investigated it properly since it's been there
since I started using freebsd. I've certainly never had a crash or hang
associated with these messages.

Steve