system laggy under load, SCHED_BSD

Tobias Roth roth at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Jan 22 14:00:54 PST 2006

Hi

Since some time, I experience extremely bad system behaviour under
load. For instance when compiling something, or unpacking a large
archive, the system is almost unusable, even the mouse pointer
reacts sloppy.

My system:

6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #7: Sun Jan 22 15:53:39 CET 2006 i386

I use SCHED_BSD.

How can I diagnose the problem, or provide more information? What
factors might influence what I experience? I cannot give a more precise
point in time as when this started, since I switched versions and
systems a few times recently.

Thanks, t.